Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

I heard a story on MPR today about fallen soldiers.  A veteran was talking about how he lost his buddy, Joe, during the Vietnam war.  He remembers being at Joe's funeral and hearing Taps played on a bugle.  He explained how he has a love/hate relationship with that song.  He hates it because it "makes him cry like a baby", but loves it because for just a minute he's reunited with his friend.

It made me want to thank 2 veterans who are special to me.  First, my grandpa, who served in the Philippines during WWII.  And, second, my friend, Pete, who served in Vietnam.  He almost got hit by a piece shrapnel, but it hit a sandbag instead.  He plucked it out and stuck it in his pocket.  Now, he has it on his desk at work and calls it his "wonderful day" paperweight.  The way he sees it, every day is wonderful because he is alive.  Thanks to both of you for your service!

Now onto a summary of our weekend...

Oscar slept over and hooked a ride on Amelia's stroller when he was too tired to walk any more.

Amelia horsed around with Dad.  He's so fun!


Amelia was just, generally, cute.


My husband gave me the gift of time to myself today; I got a couple of hours this afternoon to play in the yard.  My FIL gave me some rhubarb plants, which found a new home in my back yard.  I planted some cilantro and geraniums (separately).  I broke down and got a basket of pink impatiens for the back yard next to my swing.  I'm a sucker for pretty flowers in spring.  Tomorrow, I'm going to plant some shade-lovin' vines to hide the ugly telephone pole and some violets from my FIL.

Then, when I was thoroughly dirt-covered, I brought the newspaper outside, sat on the swing and read it.  I was surrounded by the sweet smell of our lilacs and fresh mulch and by the beauty of impatiens, pansies and ferns.  It was one of those moments I wish I could put in a bottle!

No comments: