I’m flying home today from a 5-day retreat in Boston. If I told you what I did there, you’d think I was a big fat freak, so instead I will tell you what I took away.
Except first I need to tell you about the food. In a word: exquisite. 4 tables of food for 27 of us—unbelievable. At table 1: multiple salads, including Caesar, spinach with berries and vinegrette, and build your own. At table 2: cooked vegetables that actually tasted good. I can tell you honestly that my cauliflower never, ever tastes like that. Table 3: main dishes, including squash risotto (jump for joy…my fav!!!!!). Table 4: dessert. I ate Boston cream pie because I was in Boston and a new friend said it was NOT like the Boston cream pie at home. I was not disappointed…I was, in fact, transported to a cakey, custardly, chocolately, beautiful parallel universe. Seriously. I’m not kidding. Unreal!
Now that we have that out of the way, let me tell you what I took away from the teachings.
I talk too much. It was amazing how, when I am quiet, I can hear more, see more, smell more and feel more. I remember going for a quiet walk outside, and I noticed how loud the birds were (it’s spring in Boston…there were birds. And daffodils and tulips and peonies. And worms! I’ve never been so excited to see worms). I watched them hop around, playing and singing. Somehow, I knew they were laughing, although I can’t really tell you what a bird laugh sounds like.
Phone home. It’s good to check in with myself every once in a while, and I need to do more of that. I haven’t really visited myself in quite some time. I’m so busy doing, you know and, of course the world would stop if I didn’t compulsively check my email every 5 seconds just in case somebody needed me to do something.
Multi-tasking is hogwash. I’m done with it.
One Life. We talk about work/life balance. What does that mean? I don’t live 1 life at home and 1 life at work. I live one life, until I don’t.
Life is full of moments. An infinite number, in fact! What if I were present for all of them? I mean, reeeeeeealy there, in that moment, with all of me. What if, instead of getting all crabby in the airport security line or in traffic or when my kids are being impossibly uncooperative, and wishing I were someplace else, I embraced what was there in front of me? Like saying hello to the woman behind me in line today with the gorgeous, white, sequin-ey hat that one could wear to the Kentucky Derby (which, by the way, is on my bucket list), or having a minute to breathe. The difference between reacting and responding has become clear to me. I hope to do more thoughtful responding.
I am so grateful for the moments I have, with my kids, my parents, Fabulous Husband, my work, and myself. I’m having a great time…I’m so glad I’m finally here!
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment