Saturday, May 16, 2009

Double Standards

It's been pointed out to me multiple times this week that I have a double standard when it comes to food.  There are things I allow myself to eat and a subset of those that I allow Amelia to eat.  Now that A is big enough to want to eat whatever I'm eating, I find myself sneaking things (like brownies, cookies, pop, etc) that I don't want her eating.  I'm sneaking around my own house like I'm 5 years old again!  So, I'm going to try eating only what I'll let her eat...that will either show me how ridiculous I am about her diet, or make me a healthier person.

There are other conundrums too.  Like, which yogurt is best?
  • Yo-Baby pros: Organic, whole milk (is the fat really good?).  cons: whole milk (maybe?), no vitamin D I just realized
  • Yoplait Kids pros: Vitamin D to help calcium absorbtion. cons: holy sugar!
  • Silk Soy pros: soy (thinking about The China Study). cons: will she develop a soy allergy?

The whole eating thing is tricky.  The day Amelia was born, I felt like I was in charge of everything that entered her pure little body.  That meant a LOT of worrying and guilt.  Was she nursing enough?  Was she nursing too much?  That morphed into "is she eating enough solid food"?  Is she tracking with other kids her age?  I remember feeling very mixed emotions the first time I gave her Tylenol.  And again when I gave her Motrin.  And when she got shots, especially in a day where we're learning about autism and lots of moms I know delay vaccines.

All this agonizing over eating, and you know what?  She seems to be just fine.

2 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

JoAnne-
The Sears (attachment parenting baby doctors) have a new book out in paper about Nutrition Deficit Disorder-- The book's just called NDD, I think. I've only read the first chapter so far, but it seemed like it's going to be an interesting look at children's nutrition. It might tie into what you're thinking about these days.

Unknown said...

Hi JoAnne,

It's Katie from Stonyfield Farm. I just wanted to let you know YoBaby is 10 years old and to celebrate we have added vitamin D and zinc to our products.

I hope this makes your decisions a little easier on what to feed Amelia. (Also, about your question on whole milk- pediatricians recommend for children up to age 2 for healthy brain development).

Please shoot me an email at kmoffett@stonyfieldfarm I would love to send you and Amelia some coupons.

Best wishes!
Katie
Stonyfield Farm