Sunday, August 17, 2008

Up North

We joined Cousin1 and his family up north at the cottage this weekend.  It was my grandparents' place and I think it was my grandma's favorite place in the whole world.  I've only been there a couple of times since she died, but being up there this weekend, I felt like it was 20 years ago and I kept expecting Grandma to walk around the corner with some chips and dip for everyone.  The porch swing is still there--without the squeak.  The wallpaper is the same, along with the orange and gold shag carpet.  Grandpa's chair is there and the yellow porch furniture is too.

I woke up early this morning (because Amelia woke up early this morning), and we went out onto the porch swing, which overlooks the lake.  The sun had just come up and there were fishermen out for us to watch.  We listened to the birds chirping and Amelia fell asleep on my lap as we swung.  It was beautiful and peaceful.  And, my grandma's spirit was all around us.  I remembered how much she loved having the whole crowd of us up there.  We'd take rides on the pontoon boat and we'd water-ski.  She'd always have amazing meals for us, and lots of snacks, with grahmcracker pies for dessert.  We'd play cards and talk and laugh.  I remember my grandpa and uncles taking down trees, building the pier, building bonfires with firecrackers in them and tearing around with the dogs.

I remembered Grandma's voice when a bat got in onto the porch.  "Bwaaaahhhh!  Jiiiiiiiiiimmm!"  I remembered her laugh.

I'm so glad that the cottage is still in our family.  I think she'd want it that way.  She'd want us all to head "up to the lake" for a weekend away.  I think it would make her happy to know that her great-grandchildren were there too.  I hope they could feel her spirit.

Here are a few pictures:
We were so happy to spend time with Cousin1's beautiful little girl, Madison...

Amelia think's that Madison's toys are WAY more fun than her own.  (check out that carpet!)

But, you can't beat Mr. Bun (who became a favorite of Amelia's a couple months ago).



1 comment:

Life As I Know It said...

You should really send that shot of Amelia with Mr.Bun into "Parents" magazine. She is so beautiful!