Tuesday, January 15, 2008

It's hard being little.

Yesterday was Lia's 4 month check-up.  She got 3 shots in the morning, and was really tired and cranky the rest of the day.  She took 3 great naps, so I was optimistic that the night would go well.  Ha!

Poor thing had sore legs from the shots, and when all you want to do is stand up, sore legs are a problem.  She also had a fever and was on Tylenol, which made her drowsy.  And then, she got gassy just in time for bed.  So, poor Lia was up at 11, 12, 2, 3:30, etc, etc, etc.

So, at 3:30, I got up and calmed her down.  She wanted to be held, so we rocked in the rocking chair for about a half hour.  When I tried to lay (lie?) her back down, she immediately started crying again.  So, I pulled out the most effective tool I know:  The Swing.  I thought that if she were sitting up, she might be more comfortable.  She rocked back and forth in the swing for about 20 minutes before falling asleep.  Then I turned it off, and she stayed asleep (!!).  So, I curled up on the couch and slept there.  We both slept until about 7:30.

I'm happy to report that she's feeling much better today!  Tired, but her legs seem to be feeling better and her smiles have returned.

All of that leaves me sleep deprived (I'll be sleeping when the baby sleeps today), but I am also quite proud that I was able to "fix it".  These are the times when I feel like a good mom.

"Positive things happen to positive people."  I'm looking forward to a better night tonight.

No comments: