Monday, February 18, 2008

Surprise!

As my maternity leave winds down, I've gotten to thinking about all the things that have surprised me in the last 5 months.  Here's a list of things that come to mind (in no particular order):
  • Breastfeeding is really, really HARD, but so worth it
  • Lia's smile can turn my worst day into my best
  • With the arrival of Lia, some of my friendships changed drastically, while others stayed the same, and still others became even richer
  • I'm part of the mom club now...it seems as though anyone who is also a mom is my friend, even if she's a complete stranger
  • I new my husband would be a wonderful father, but I didn't realize just how amazing he'd be.  Not only does he work magic with Lia, he has taken phenomenal care of me.  And, somehow we've grown even greater as a couple
  • There is a LOT to worry about
  • Blogging can preserve my sanity
  • I am not cut out to be a stay at home mom
  • Good daycare is hard to find
  • Baby sneezes and hiccups are about the cutest thing I've ever heard
  • I would do anything for my kid.  Really.  I've heard others say that before, but I get it now
  • My priorities have become crystal clear
  • It is possible to get out with the baby, although it is easy to choose staying home
  • I've turned into my mom in so many ways and I'm a better person for it.  Thanks for teaching me how to be a good mom, Mom!

2 comments:

Margaret said...

I can totally relate!!! I was surprised to learn a lot of the things on your list. For me - the one that topped my list, was realizing how much you can love your child!!!!!

Michelle said...

Amen. Well said.