Sunday, September 4, 2011

Happy Campers

Fabulous Husband, the kiddos and I went camping with a friend and her little man last week.  We did all sorts of amazing things, but my favorite parts are the little moments that happen.


For example, Meena woke up early one morning with a lot of energy, so we went for a walk around the campground.  In the quiet,  she told me about things she noticed.  My favorite was her discovery in the puddle.  It had rained during the night and the puddles were plentiful and vast.  In the stillness, they reflected what was above them flawlessly.  One puddle reflected a blue sky and tree branches with leaves.  Meena's description: "Mom, look!  It's the bottom of the sky!"

I love the words kids use.  They're perfectly descriptive and come from such an honest place.  The words they use don't match what I would say, yet they communicate the exact essence.

The day after we got back, T-Mobile started Pre-school (!!!).  He was excited, but after 5 days of vacation, he was having a bit of a hard time.  He asked me if I could sit with him for a few minutes while he ate breakfast, so I pulled up a toddler-sized chair.  I rubbed his back and he sniffed, saying "When a few minutes is over, I'm going to miss you."  He walked me to the door to leave and the tears started, but when his new teacher came over and said, "I'm so excited to have you join the Pre-school class!" he beamed and ran off to finish breakfast.  And, just like that, I'm a mom of 2 Pre-schoolers.

No comments: