Thursday, September 16, 2010

You're a Big Kid Now

Dear Meena,
3 years ago today, my heart doubled in size and my life changed forever.

You have grown by leaps and bounds this year, entering pre-school and loving it, even though we had to drag you there kicking and screaming.  You beamed on  your first day, announcing your new "preschooler" status to anyone who would listen.

I took you to the BIG zoo today (not the little zoo with the merry-go-round).  In the middle of playing on the mini-playground there, you called me over with a serious look on your face.  "Mom.  I don't want to do the poopy thing anymore like little brothers do."  I promised I would help you learn to use the potty so you could wear big-girl underwear.  I love having conversations with you; serious and not.

You still H-A-T-E getting dressed in the morning and getting jammies on at bedtime.  You can do it yourself, but usually prefer to whine about it, resulting in a time-out or 2 almost daily.

You love/hate your brother.  He adores you.  He follows you around, copying most of what you do.  He even plays with your babies now and then, pretend-brushing their teeth just last night.  While camping a couple of weeks ago, he would say "Yo yo" and you would wave your arms, making some noise and you both would collapse in laughter, doing it again and again each time you caught your breath.  You help him with just about everything--getting his coat on, eating, holding his hand so he doesn't wander.  But, he still drives you crazy sometimes and you stomp your feet in frustration.  Guess you're both normal!

You're shy and have an introverted style, preferring to observe and plan before doing anything.  And, you don't miss anything.  Observant just like your dad!

Every day you make me want to be a better person.  To be more patient and kind.  To always do the right thing, even when I'm exhausted.  You teach me constantly.

Thank you for making me better.  For making me whole.

Love,
Mom

No comments: